February 8, 2021 || By: Hope F
Imagine, you’re laying in bed on a lazy-day-off in the morning and you’re woken up slowly by an ever present, pressing thought. Cinnamon rolls, cinnamonnnnn rolllsssssss! You try to shake it out of your head, but no! The thought of making cinnamon rollsr is stuck in your head. You decide that you might as well wake up and bake them since they won’t leave you alone. So you do.
That was me this morning, I was trying to get an extra hour of sleep when the thought of cinnamon rolls started pricking my brain. Usually, we only have these delicious, cinnamon-y buns on special occasions (mainly Christmas), but I just had to make them. Sure enough, they are delicious and were definitely worth it. This recipe comes from Tasty and should definitely be made (especially on a nice foggy morning or rainy day)!
Recipe: Prep Time – 2 hours 25 minutes, Cook Time – 25/35 minutes
Ingredients for Dough:
- 2 cups Milk, warm to the touch
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) Butter, melted
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
How to make Dough:
- In a large bowl, mix the heated milk, melted butter, and sugar.
- Add in the yeast and let it bloom (sit) for 10 minutes.
- Now, mix in 4 cups of the flour (with a wooden spoon) until the dough is smooth.
- Cover the bowl of dough with a damp towel and place it in a warm place to rise for 1 hour (it should double in size).
- Once the dough has risen, add the last cup of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix them in completely, then turn it onto a clean surface, the dough will be really wet, but that’s ok, thats why you’ll add some flour on top in the next step.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes – adding extra flour on top/on the clean surface if it sticks – until it is smooth and springs back when you poke it.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle 1/2 inch thick, and (with a spatula) make the corners sharp and even.
- Spread the filling evenly on the dough.
- From one of the short sides, roll the dough (tightly).
- Using unflavored dental floss, cut the dough into 1 and 1/2 inch thick rolls. You do this by bringing the dental floss under the dough, taking it up and crossing it, then bringing it down.
- Place the rolls in two 9 inch round pans (buttered so that the dough doesn’t stick).
- Cover the pans with a damp towel, and place in a warm place to proof for 35/45 minutes (they should double in size).
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and bake them for 25/35 minutes.
- Go to the frosting steps.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 12 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
How to make the Filling:
- Mix the butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar thoroughly.
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 4 oz Butter softened
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
How to make Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter, cream, and vanilla extract together until they’re smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar until the frosting is all smooth and mixed together (and there’s no clumps).
- When the cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, let the cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle the frosting over them (or drizzle it individually whenever you want).
- Enjoy…and try not to eat them all at once!
One thought on “Cinnamon Yum Rolls!”