February 2, 2021 || By: Hope F
Mixed berry is basically the best combo ever, whether it’s blueberries/raspberries (which is what this is), raspberries/blackberries, all three together, you can’t really go wrong! The crust is so tender, crips, and delicious, and it pairs very nicely with the gooey berries on top. Adding in a sprinkle of brown sugar on top blows everything away! All in all, these bars are the perfect treat for any time and are a beautiful symphony in your mouth 🙂 This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
Recipe: Prep Time – 45 minutes, Cook Time – 45/55 minutes
Ingredients for Crust/Crumble:
- 1 cup (200 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 cups (390 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Zest of one Lemon
- 2 sticks (225 grams) cold Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large Egg
- Some Brown Sugar (for sprinkling it on top)
How to make Crust/Crumble:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and grease a 9×13 pan (or line it with parchment paper).
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add in the butter with a pastry cutter or with your hands.
- Mix the egg in with a fork.
- Put half of the dough into the 9×13 pan.
Ingredients for Berry Mix:
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 2 cups Raspberries
- 4 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- Juice from 1 Lemon
How to make Berry Mix:
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Then add in the berries (gently).
Put it all together:
- Pour the berry mixture onto the crust that’s in the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the other half of the crust/crumble. (It will seem like a lot, but you need it to soak up all the juice from the berries.)
- Sprinkle some brown sugar on top (it really adds a nice touch)!
- Put the pan into the oven and bake it for 45/55 minutes or until lightly brown/golden (it took mine about 55 minutes).
- Let it cool completely before cutting the bars (the berries need time to firm up).